Friday, April 11, 2008

A Cliche Revisement

I'm sure we've all heard the cliche, "It's like riding a bicycle". This phrase generally refers to an action that can be easily recalled with little difficulty or effort.

I am formally filing my protest with this terminology.

I bought a bike today. It's part of my "Let's get healthy and save some cash on Metro costs at the same time" movement I am in now. Back in the 'Good Ol' Days', I rode a bike everywhere for miles on miles. I was quite spry and nimble on it too. Quite the bikerider. In my head I heard that fateful cliche ringing outloud..."It's like riding a bicycle"... Hearkening back to my youth, I felt I would be able to leap onto the bike and take off down the road as if 10 years had gone by in an instant.

I was wrong.

I rode for a block and nearly killed myself. Another block, another near-death experience. Luckily by this point in time I had made it to my apartment and could end the awkwardness that was my first attempt at riding a bike again. Therefore, I am formally protesting the use of the cliche "It's like riding a bike" on a strong argument that it's FUCKING HARD!

Concurrently I am putting aside my macho bullshit ego and ordering a bike helmet. But it's gonna be blood red with flames or something cool like that!

1 comment:

Claire said...

a) definitely buy a bike helmet.
b) I heartily agree with revising this cliche. As someone else who nearly killed herself on a recent bike-riding attempt (and had the scraped up knee and bruised right side to prove it), I totally second that bike riding can be FUCKING HARD.

that is all.